Saturday, June 18, 2016

Keep Up With Schedules or Kick Yourself

I'm not even in the region anymore, but, as this entry's title suggests, I'm still mad at myself for missing an opportunity at my last job in Small State University (SSU). The school is a Midwestern school not far from St. Louis and they have a weekly visiting talk schedule for the Chemistry department. I used to love going to those things, but I guess the fact that I wasn't actually doing any real chemistry sorta put me out of the mood of attending and I ended up never making a talk (I know...this was dumb of me and I regret it).

While there, I knew in the back of my mind, that Paul Bracher of ChemBark (I hope that he doesn't mind me linking here...or on the sidebar, for that matter!) wasn't far away, in SLU, and would probably make an interesting speaker. I even considered suggesting him to the schedulers, but eventually just didn't do it. Toward the end of the semester, a couple months before our recent move, I ended up checking the schedule out to see who was coming next, out of curiosity, and guess who I had just missed a month or so before: Paul Bracher.

So there you have it: KEEP UP WITH YOUR SCHEDULES! If I had just paid a little more attention and remained active with the easily-accessible talks scheduled by my own department, I'd have been able to meet a pretty important member of the chemistry blogging community. Hopefully that won't be my last opportunity to meet Dr. Bracher, but he has already taken part in teaching me a lesson, it seems. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment